Hypno-moms are deprogrammed from the typically negative childbirth stories and scenarios they’ve always heard, by participating in Birth Hypnosis classes or private hypnotherapy sessions, or by listening to audio CDs that have positive birthing messages. This encourages women to remain relaxed and confident during pregnancy and to enjoy preparing for childbirth.
Many Hypno-mothers have shorter births since hypnosis training can minimize discomfort and fear, and create less resistance between the birthing muscles. All muscles in the body are conditioned to remain very deeply relaxed, which allows the uterus to work more effectively.
Since hypnotic suggestions for a smooth, easy birth are built into most childbirth hypnosis programs, there are fewer interventions for failure to progress and therefore fewer fetal and maternal complications in childbirth.
Birthing mothers generally have much more energy throughout first and second stage, because they are able to relax throughout the birthing process. Since hypnosis techniques and cues keep our Hypno-mothers comfortable, it is unnecessary for them to move constantly to remain comfortable. They rest more and have more energy to push their babies out.
The birthing environment is much more calm and peaceful when the natural childbirth mother is comfortable. Birth partners, family members and medical caregivers remain more relaxed, calm and confident when our birthing mother uses hypnosis to enjoy a serene birthing.
Breech and posterior babies can be turned using hypnosis. Blood pressure, heart rate, and temperature can be lowered and nausea, back and hip pain eliminated with hypnosis during pregnancy and birth.
The deep relaxation taught in Childbirth Hypnosis sessions has also helped many a nervous birth partner to enjoy their partner’s pregnancy and childbirth, and the skills that the Hypno-couple learns for relaxation and hypnosis benefits both of them for the rest of their lives. Hypnobabies Birth Partners also get their own hypnosis CD which allows them to feel calm and confident about pregnancy and childbirth.
All Childbirth Hypnosis Courses are not created equal…
There are several very important elements that are essential for a birth hypnosis program to be effective.
Hypnobabies Childbirth Hypnosis includes all of them:
- A Fear Clearing hypnosis session that helps to “deprogram” the mother from any fears that come up for her
- During late pregnancy, and to help rid her of fears during birth itself, especially during early Birthing Time.
- A session to create “Special Safe Place” imagery in the mother’s mind.
- At least one cue/anchor for entering hypnosis instantly.
- Deepening Cues are verbal or physical cues that instantly deepen the Hypno-mom’s
- Hypno-anesthesia and relaxation. Birth Partner/husbands practice these cues with the Hypno-mom for use during birth.
- Compounding---consistent daily repetition of hypnosis suggestions or techniques “compounds” their effectiveness.
- Birthing Visualization---mentally, women “practice or rehearse” giving birth many times. This is most effective when done as a guided hypnosis session, allowing the mother to create her own birthing the way that she desires it to be.
- A Birth Hypnosis class should have at least 6 varied Birth Hypnosis scripts for the couple to practice with in preparation for birthing, with a specific schedule to follow so that compounding of all hypnosis suggestions can take place easily. At least 4 of the hypnosis scripts should be recorded sessions that the Hypno-mother can listen to on her own and use during her birthing time.
- Clearing of previous negative birth experiences, whether her own or the observation of someone else’s (her mom’s, sister’s, or friend’s birth may have affected her beliefs about birth).
- Consumer Options and Birth Empowerment Issues---It is essential that the Hypno-couple learn not only hypnotic childbirth techniques, but also how to create informed consent, and how to make a great Birth Plan in order to avoid unnecessary interventions.
Hypnobabies Classes are all taught by Certified Hypnobabies Instructors who have at least 50 hours of hypnosis training as well as childbirth education backgrounds.
So what makes Hypnobabies so successful at producing easier, more comfortable births?
In Hypnobaibes, during birth preparation and childbirth, we focus greatly on several elements that assist with making childbirth easier and more comfortable. They are:
Hypnosis is the most important element for an easier, more comfortable birthing and takes moms far beyond deep relaxation and breathing techniques. The deep, somnambulistic hypnosis used in Hypnobabies actually re-trains and conditions the inner mind to convert birthing sensations from painful sensations to comfortable, even pleasurable ones. Normal birthing sensations are still experienced by our mothers---sensations such as pressure, stretching, pulling, pushing and tightening, as well as the movements and position of the baby, and they can be experienced with little or no discomfort.
Deep Relaxation: The muscles of a birthing woman’s body, especially the ones around her baby must be completely and totally relaxed so that they can work efficiently and without any added discomfort from the Fear/Tension/Pain response. Practice is therefore mandatory and must be taken seriously. Hypno-mothers need to instantly accomplish becoming completely limp and loose like a dishrag when prompted to relax their body. This is one of the reasons we do progressive relaxation inductions, and in every Hypnobabies hypnosis script, CD track, cue and technique, deep relaxation is practiced so that it becomes a completely automatic response. It is our Hypnobabies hypnosis training which “implants” suggestions into our Hypno-moms’ subconscious minds for instant and very deep total body relaxation. That means relaxation is an automatic SIDE EFFECT of hypnosis. A really great one. J
Fear Clearing Sessions: Through hypnotic suggestion, our moms are gently guided to release and re-program a lifetime of not-so-encouraging expectations about childbirth. Every birth story an expectant woman reads, sees on TV or in the movies, or listens to during people’s stories about their own birth experience, helps create her belief system about the process of birth.
Hypnobabies Fear Clearing sessions helps our moms to let go of prior cultural conditioning, and to re-program any fears or concerns they may have about childbirth, into a sense of confidence and happy anticipation for their baby’s birth. Releasing fears about birth and the resulting stress reduction, helps the body to relax and function well, to enjoy a restful sleep and to actually enjoy pregnancy.