10,000 Hours


I started piano lessons when I was 5-years-old.  Years later I learned to play the organ.  I have the privilege of currently serving as a substitute organist in the temple.  For years, between my pregnancies, I played weekly as an organist in the temple.  A few weeks ago I was asked to sub.  Without having touched an organ for about 6 months, I was able to provide 45 minutes of beautiful prelude music for the temple patrons that day.  When I was a music major at BYU-Idaho, we were required to practice 90 minutes a day, 6 days a week for our instrument.  For private non-major instrument lessons it was 45 minutes per day, 6 days a week.  That meant at one point, I was spending 90 minutes for voice, 45 minutes for piano, and 45 minutes for the organ---that was per day!

Although my musical abilities aren’t as fresh now as they were then, I am typically able to do quite well when given the opportunity to share my talents. I can usually sit down at the piano and play anything out of the Hymn book or Primary Children’s songbook on the piano adequately enough that a congregation can sing along. I can stand without notice and lead music.  I attribute my consistency in being able to reliably respond whenever I call upon my musical talents to the years of time and effort spent on developing and practicing these skills.

It reminds me of other experiences in my life.  All that was between me and becoming an RN was the state licensing exam.  The test was on a computer.  The software was set up to feed anywhere from 75-265 questions from the question bank.  It shuts off anywhere in that range when the software gauges with near accuracy if the hopeful nurse is at passing or above (resulting in a pass) or at failing or below (resulting in a fail).  We were starving student newlyweds at the time of the exam.  Although it was almost painful to do so, we decided to pay for the best preparation course available.

I spent at least 2 months Monday through Friday from 8 am-5 pm minus lunch and bathroom breaks using the course to prepare for the state exam.  The day of the test came.  My test shut off at 75 questions!  That meant I really, really passed or I really, really failed.

I would flop back and forth between confidence and total fear in the days awaiting the test results. My test scores on the practice exams were usually below passing.  I had taken the time to tediously go through every single question of every single practice test to understand why I missed what I missed.  Some of the questions on the real state exam were word-for-word or nearly word-for-word the same as the practice exams questions.  Some were similar enough that I felt confident on how to figure out the answers.

But when it shut off at 75 questions, I was a ball of nerves.  You probably can guess that I did actually pass the exam!  Although I personally know plenty of smart people who literally just walked in to take the state licensing exam with no preparation, my passing with 75 questions had nothing to do with my innate braininess, abilities, or test-taking skills.  I had to study.  I had to put in time.  I had to develop the skills to be able to pass.  And I did. Because of the time, effort, and practice, I was able to call upon the skills needed to successfully pass the exam. Those skills were there that day when I needed them.

One last story and then my point.  We decided to try a different approach for our third child’s birth. We wanted to give birth without an epidural or medication.  I found a childbirth course I knew would work for me, and just like with music lessons and state boards, I put in the time to learn, develop, and practice the skills needed to be successful.  I simply did everything the course told me to do. Just like the nursing exam preparation course, this course had been used before by other expecting couples to accomplish what we were seeking to accomplish.  I put in hours and hours of time and preparation.
Guess what?  Our baby’s birthing time (labor) was awesome!  We did it!  When we were expecting our fourth child, my husband and I not only did the course work and practice again, but by this time I was a certified instructor teaching this course to others.  I don’t know about you, but my mind goes deeper when I teach something to others.  I think having this additional time and opportunity to deepen my understanding of the course work and the tools prepared me well for our baby’s birth.

I was in my birthing time for this baby from Wednesday night until Saturday afternoon.  I had pressure waves (contractions) that came every 10 minutes all of those days (and nights).  I knew the course work well through the hours of study to learn it for myself plus the additional hours I spent teaching and supporting my students to prepare for their own births. As a couple, we had invested hours together developing skills and tools and, again, I was able to spend additional hours helping my students. It was ingrained in my body and my mind. In my time of need I called upon all I had learned and developed. The skills were there and my baby’s birth felt great!  I was full of energy and completely comfortable that entire time despite the length of my birthing time.

Now, I tell you these stories not so I can brag that I have some sort of superhuman abilities. Hopefully you can see how readily I am willing to admit that just isn’t the case!  It isn’t so much that I had these incredible experiences because of something entirely innate or that these abilities or skills were developed instantly. I am just an ordinary, everyday person.  I did, however, put in the time and effort required to create physical and mental muscle memory.

Not everyone is willing to stick with something long enough or consistently enough to develop it into a skill.  In this generation, we have grown accustomed to instant results or quick fixes or answers. It requires time and effort to master a skill. We cannot shortcut or side-step those requirements and expect the same results. Although things don’t always have to be hard or grueling, when it comes to mastering something, it does require our time and effort.  Ralph Waldo Emerson said, “That which we persist in doing becomes easier to do, not that the nature of the thing has changed but that our power to do has increased.” I believe this is a pattern that can be duplicated again and again in our lives.  I believe it is a pattern worth our attention and consideration, acknowledging once more whatever invitations you have in your life right now to be still.

In this fast-paced world, we can easily pick up and adopt the messages of entitlement and instant gratification.  With all the modern technologies, we have grown accustomed to instant answers.  We are used to writing something and within seconds it can be read by someone on the other side of the world.  We have grown used to the ease of google (which, I am so grateful for!), and the perceived knowledge of the ages just a mouse-click away.  Most of us carry our phones or devices on our persons at all times.  It’s rare that we must wait for a return call. It blew our children’s minds when my husband and I recently tried to paint a picture of what life was like for us as kids before the internet.  Do you remember?  We had things called encyclopedias we would used to research about information. We went to the library to write our research papers because we needed access to the books.  It took time.  We had to persist.  Our kids didn’t believe us when we told them how we accessed conference talks back then.  After watching it on locally broadcasted TV, we waited to get the Ensign...in the mailbox.  Now the talks are available online in many languages and all within days!  It is just astounding!  You and I both know there is much good because of these technological advancements. You and I both know there are downsides as well.  The one I want to focus on is the idea that we can translate this same fast-paced, instant-answer experience we have with technology into our spiritual lives.

Elder Cook said, “When we watch a great athletic or musical performance, we often say that the person is very gifted, which is usually true.  But the performance is based upon years of preparation and practice.  One well-known writer, Malcolm Gladwell, has called this the 10,000-hour rule. Researchers have determined that this amount of practice is necessary in athletics, musical performance, academic proficiency, specialized work skills, medical or legal expertise, and so on. One of these research experts asserts ‘that ten thousand hours of practice is required to achieve the level of mastery associated with being a world-class expert---in anything.’

“Most people recognize that to obtain peak physical and mental performance, such preparation and practice are essential.

“Unfortunately, in an increasingly secular world, less emphasis is placed on the amount of spiritual growth necessary to become more Christlike and establish the foundations that lead to enduring faith. We tend to emphasize moments of sublime spiritual understanding.  These are precious instances when we know the Holy Ghost has witnessed special spiritual insights to our hearts and minds.  We rejoice in these events; they should not be diminished in any way.  But for enduring faith and to have the constant companionship of the Spirit, there is no substitute for the individual religious observance that is comparable to physical and mental development.  We should build on these experiences, which sometimes resemble initial baby steps. We do this by consecrated commitment to sacred sacrament meetings, scripture study, prayer, and serving as called.”

Just like I relied on muscle or mental memory to play the organ, in my birthing times, or at my state nursing exam, we similarly must take the time to develop spiritual memory.  This memory can also be called upon in times of great need; when we feel stretched to our limit, when it appears there is nothing but darkness, when we are asked to do what seems impossible---as well as our everyday times of need.  We can develop deeply-rooted spiritual ability so that in those times of need, we can just do what is needed without having to go through the development process at those critical times.

At such times we already need the skill to be there!  Just like I could have those skills be there when called upon, we can find that we have paid the price to develop deeply-rooted faith and trust. The skills to maneuver through times of fiery trials, to discern between what is true and what is a lie, the ability to trust God when we can’t see how or why, or the individualized personal revelation necessary to minister to others are all borne of carefully developed faith. Because of our faith, these skills can be there when we call upon them. But, like any skill, it takes time and practice.  Of all the spiritual skills we could choose to pursue, developing a firm faith in our Savior Jesus Christ truly is the most eternally deserving of our time, efforts, and attention.

As I shared this section with my husband, he wanted to know the numbers.  If a person were to spend 8 hours a day, 5 days per week (a 40 hour work-week), it would take roughly 5 years to reach 10,000 hours.  At the rate of 1 hour per day, it would take about 27 years.  Ironically, a recent study concluded that the average person will spend more than 5 years of their lives using social media (Source).  That is second only to watching television.  It far surpassed the amount of time an average person will spend eating or even doing laundry over their lifetime. How do you want to spend your 10,000 hours?

Do you feel more motivated than ever to take time to be still? I certainly hope so!  It is in that time of stillness every day that we have the opportunity to develop skills, including our faith and those things that enhance it.  I will walk you through this entire process, but first, we are going to need to understand exactly what we are up against.

Next Section HERE

Previous Section HERE

Comments