We Prayed You Here

We want our wards and stakes to feel like family, right?  We want everyone to  
truly feel welcome not only in our meetings, but in our ward family, right?  We 
want to establish a place where all will be "[kept] safe on Zion's hill" (Hymn #83)--
-a refuge and a defense (See D&C 115:6).  

Although there are several functions to stakes and wards, it is my intent to focus 
specifically on how we can reach, love, and invite in ways that point each other to 
Christ through covenants and ordinances.  These ways can give us a deeper 
connection to feel more like family and also establish a safe-haven of Zion because 
our goal is to point others to Christ and help them along their own journey in 
discovering Him for themselves. 

Several years ago I took my kids to the park.  At first we were the only ones there, 
but after a while a member of my Stake Presidency showed up with his grandkids.  
We knew who each other was generally, but hadn’t talked before more than a 
handshake and a hello. I had never interacted with a member of my Stake Presidency 
in an informal setting before and I really enjoyed our visit together. 

We began to ask each other the getting-to-know-you type questions. Since we were
pretty new to the stake, he asked me where we are from. Sometimes it is really
disappointing to tell people we moved from Rexburg, Idaho and have them react
like I just said "any old place."  To us, Rexburg is an incredible place in and of
itself, but it is also where we grew our deeply rooted conversion (see Mosiah 18:30).
I wish they could be as excited about it as we are, but most people usually aren't.  
When that question came up, I couldn't help but add, "That ward and stake we
were in were the closest to Zion we have ever experienced!!!"

We truly lived in a ward and stake during such a unique window of time!  There was 
a heart's core that was eager to learn and teach pure truth, serve in meaningful ways, 
and desired for things of The Spirit like I have never seen in any other ward (collectively 
speaking).  

Jesus Christ was the focus of everything they did. In this unique window, we were
able to dig deep in our discussions during the church block because teachers 
and class members came prepared.  Our Stake Conferences were of the same
caliber. We were able to be taught "hard things to hear" because of seeking
to be changed.

It was just such an amazing, amazing time and place to be that has shaped and
influenced me as well as many others. I was shaped deeply in a matter of
years because of how pinpointed these efforts were. Now that I have more
life experience and with our new Church-wide vocabulary, I know that what
they were doing was a form of ministering.

I will never forget the first day in that ward.  Mark and I came up after sacrament meeting 
to introduce ourselves to the bishop.  He looked straight into my eyes with such piercing 
intensity and said simply, “We prayed you here,” as he shook my hand. That moment was 
electrifying.  Later I shared it with Mark and we patted ourselves on our backs thinking, 
“They prayed us here because we are going to fill up some hole in the ward. We are that 
awesome.”  

A few years later when our life really began to unravel, the bishop referenced that 
moment during an interview with Mark.  He explained to Mark that what he was expressing 
in that moment is that we weren’t prayed into that ward in the warm fuzzy, good way we 
had originally thought.  

The ward council had been praying for members to move into the 
ward boundaries who they could help. They were praying for those who would be receptive 
to being taught the error of their ways.  We were literally prayed to the people who could 
point us to Christ. They were praying for opportunities to minister to me and my family and 
others who desperately needed to find Christ!

Why can't we do that, too? I not only mean
literally as ward and stake councils or leaders, but also we can pray every day for our 
paths to cross with those individuals who need to be ministered to today.

I didn't tell my Stake Presidency member any of that, but that is where my mind quickly went in 
speaking of our beloved ward and stake.  With tagging that on about it being Zion, I am not 
sure why I was just expecting the conversation to move on to the next topic. He thought 
for a moment, then with great intrigue he asked, "What did they do to make it like that?  
Name three things."

We only got part-way through a discussion of my number one before all three of my boys 
were soaked in muddy water from a broken sprinkler and ready for warm, dry clothes.  
We didn’t get to finish the conversation with each other, but it was one I brought home and 
finished later with Mark. What would my top 3 have been?

In our 7 years in that special, special ward we lost 6 babies to miscarriage, we experienced 
2 pregnancies where I was on bed rest for months at a time with toddlers and preschoolers 
home all day with me, Mark went through 2 rounds of unemployment, and our lives were 
shattered by the addiction relapse and betrayal trauma, not mention the day-to-day challenges 
of raising a young family.  We had many heavy burdens during this window of time and felt 
stretched beyond our capacity to bear each one by itself, let alone fiery trial after fiery trial 
or sometimes stacked on top of each other. After what we went through, I honestly don't 
know how people make it without a good ward family! (Be that the ward not functioning 
well collectively or the individual who is struggling pulling back by self-isolating.)  

Looking back with hindsight, it is miraculous that we not only had the support we needed 
to bear these burdens, but that these burdens were able to be for our good and to encourage 
the now deep roots of conversion.  I believe our efforts to minister to one another can help
turn bitter or painful life experiences into the very moments that "give [us the]
experiences" (D&C 122:7) we need towards becoming like God.

I had a counselor who said something like this, "If 
someone looks like they are doing well, maybe it's a good year."  Meaning: we all struggle.  
We all have challenges that come in different forms. 

Each one of us is in need of a ward family that is made up of individuals who know how 
to help those around them to not only bear up their burdens, but to do it in a way that 
points them to Christ personally.

As I recently met with a ward Relief Society President, 
she said something that gave me chills. She said, "I wonder if in five years we will even 
need to have ministering assignments at all." What would it be like if we truly watched 
over one another like that? What if we knew each other well enough and lived close 
enough to the Spirit that we knew what needed to be done? After living in that wonderful 
ward during this critical time in my life, I absolutely know that it is possible! I wouldn't 
at all be surprised if that is what we are being grown towards and being prepared for.

I am writing this from the perspective of someone who, although I never missed a 
week of church, at times was still drowning.  My family was in great need of mighty 
rescuing efforts---some situations more so than others. I write this from the receiving end 
of a ward and stake that were functioning well to reach and rally around those who were 
struggling. Mark and I know that ward members can make an eternal impact. We are 
living proof of that!

Sharing the conversation I had in the park with Mark that night generated some great 
discussions between us.  We would guess that there were individuals who were in our 
Rexburg ward during that amazing window of time who didn't feel the same way we do, 
but as we have kept in contact with other members of that ward, there are many others 
who felt like they were part of Zion, too. 

I don't think there is a "right" top 3.  Even my top 3 was different from Mark's top 3.  I can 
only speak from my own experiences. In sharing what I would list as my top 3, I want to 
make it clear that it isn't intended to be an all inclusive list. I don't by any means claim to 
have all the answers. I am just sharing from our experiences of being on the receiving 
end of a ward and stake that worked well in this regard and the things I have been learning
in recent years on the giving end.  

I would invite you to take some time if you haven't before 
and jot down your own thoughts. Maybe you have been blessed to be in such a ward as I 
will describe. Maybe you have had the unfortunate opposite experience and can draw more 
from what hasn't worked.  In that case I would invite you to consider changing negatives to 
positive for example "not being judgmental" to "accepting." Take some time to really ponder 
and generate what would Zion look like. 

Next Section HERE

Previous Section HERE

Comments