Plant This Word


Remember how Adam and Eve gained knowledge through their own personal experience?  In the next chapter, it will be time for you to act on your own faith.  This faith is grown of hope (see Moroni 7:40). As we “plant” a hope in Christ, it can grow into faith.  As we couple that faith with action, we gain knowledge.  As we act according to this new knowledge---as we are obedient to it--- our power to exercise our agency is increased.

Again and again we go through this process as one concept after another can become a sure knowledge. We are no longer acting out of faith because we know.  “...he that will not harden his heart, to him is given the greater portion of the word, until it is given unto him to know the mysteries of God until he knows them in full” (Alma 12:10).

Many of us are more familiar with Alma 32 than Alma 33, but chapter 33 is also part of the same sermon where Alma likened planting a seed to our growing faith. Starting in verse 19 of chapter 33, Alma describes the seed that we should plant. Any old seed won’t do for such a grand experiment.
“Behold, [Christ] was spoken of by Moses; yea, and behold a type was raised up in the wilderness, that whosoever would look upon it might live. And many did look and live. But few understood the meaning of those things, and this because of the hardness of their hearts. But there were many who were so hardened that they would not look, therefore they perished. Now the reason they would not look is because they did not believe that it would heal them. O my brethren, if ye could be healed by merely casting about your eyes that ye might be healed, would ye not behold quickly, or would ye rather harden your hearts in unbelief, and be slothful, that ye would not cast about your eyes, that ye might perish? If so, wo shall come upon you; but if not so, then cast about your eyes and begin to believe in the Son of God, that he will come to redeem his people, and that he shall suffer and die to atone for their sins; and that he shall rise again from the dead, which shall bring to pass the resurrection, that all men shall stand before him, to be judged at the last and judgment day, according to their works. And now, my brethren, I desire that ye shall plant this word in your hearts, and as it beginneth to swell even so nourish it by your faith. And behold, it will become a tree, springing up in you unto everlasting life. And then may God grant unto you that your burdens may be light, through the joy of his Son. And even all this can ye do if ye will. Amen” (Alma 33:19-23).

Did you catch that?  Hope in Jesus Christ is the seed we should plant. The seed is hope in Christ.  Just like a seed growing into a plant, this hope, if carefully nourished, can grow into a firm faith that He really can redeem and He really did atone for our sins (for your sins).

How silly would it be if I worked in my garden all summer long without planting anything?  I make sure to fertilize, provide plenty of sunlight and water, I pull the weeds, then at the end of the season I tuck all of my tools and my gardening gloves away telling myself, “What a great growing season!” If I thought that was gardening I wouldn’t even know what I was missing---that there can be fruit!  My efforts can actually produce something---there is purpose in my scratching around in the dirt.

But isn’t that kind of what we do when we go through the motions of those things that would nourish a seed without taking the time to actually plant a seed first?  As we attend our meetings, have family home evening, go to the temple, or serve (in what we think is ministering), but there is not a seed, our efforts are hollow and meaningless to not only ourselves, but those we could also bless if we actually had fruit ourselves and also understood how to encourage others in this process for themselves as well.

However, if we are willing to “experiment upon [Alma’s] words, and exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than desire to believe, let this desire work in you, even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words” (Alma 32:27) “...And behold, it will become a tree, springing up in you unto everlasting life. And then may God grant unto you that your burdens may be light, through the joy of his Son. And even all this can ye do if ye will” (Alma 33:23). God has a plan, and it is contingent upon our willingness to fully participate in it. Allowing this seed of hope to grow, sprout, and thrive is an important part that cannot be overlooked.
Are you willing to give the Atonement a try? Are you worn out enough yet?  Are you done walking in circles?  Have you tried everything you know how, but still find yourself stuck?  This is just where God has been waiting for you to be!  If you aren’t there yet, don’t worry. He will continue to patiently wait until you are ready. :)

I didn’t turn to the Atonement until I had literally exhausted all my resources.  As one thing after another came crashing down upon me, for a long time I would just tell myself, “That’s okay.  I still haven’t tried this other thing yet.”  Because of my pride, I lost almost everything before I was willing to turn to Jesus Christ.  My life was in shreds.

It doesn’t have to be that way, though!  I believe we can turn to Him long before our life blows up in our faces.  Yet, such is human nature that often it is easier in our times of need than in times of ease to come to Christ.  Whether you are in a valley or trying to scale a vertical cliff... just come! And come running without delay! "Yea, I would that ye would come forth and harden not your hearts any longer; for behold, now is the time and the day of your salvation; and therefore, if ye will repent and harden not your hearts, immediately shall the great plan of redemption be brought about unto you" (Alma 34:31).

I love what Enos recorded of his time in the forest. “There came a voice unto me, saying:...thy sins are forgiven thee, and thou shalt be blessed.  And I...knew that God could not lie; wherefore, my guilt was swept away. And I said: Lord, how is it done? And he said unto me: Because of thy faith in Christ” (Enos 1: 5-8).

Although I don’t understand everything about the Atonement, I am literally a living witness to the reality that Jesus Christ can change us.  Our faith in Him allows for this process to take effect in our lives.  Although I cannot yet fully put it all into words.  I KNOW Jesus Christ’s Atonement is adequate for all our needs. It is God’s plan that our individual coming unto Christ ripples out and creates similar invitations for those within our circle of influence to also find Him. “No man is an island. No man stands alone” (Song lyrics by Joan Baez). “...When thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren” (Luke 22:32).

Next Section HERE

Previous Section HERE

Comments