Is Hypnobabies "Too Good to Be True?"

For more information about what hypnosis is and what hypnosis is not, please read more on my website.

When I was considering my options for natural childbirth, hypnosis sounded too good to be true to me.  My expectations from not only my personal experience of 2 previous "epidural babies," but also society as a whole of childbirth was pain, fear, needing to be rescued, uncomfortable, awful, out of control...you know what I'm talking about.

How could a method speak about an "easy, joyful, comfortable" birth?

Even after I had my amazing birthing time, I still felt like it was "easy."  I did my homework, or "homeplay" as we call it in Hypnobabies.  I  "just" listened to scripts and CD's and read the articles in the workbook.   It wasn't until becoming an instructor that it really sunk in as to a major piece of why I had such a smooth birthing time.  I had "paid my dues" with regards to regular practice.  In hypnosis, there is what we call the compounding effect.  Meaning the next time we enter hypnosis, we enter easier, go deeper, and our hypnosis works better than the time before.  This is achieved through regular (*DAILY*) practice.  Just like many things in life, it can be easier when we are doing it regularly.  Think about it.  Simple.  Hypnobabies isn't too good to be true, it just requires dedication.  With dedication comes the outward manifestation of that dedication: time invested in obtaining the skills. 

Hypnobabies boiled down to its simplicity is to listen to scripts and tracks and read articles.  For many, that seems too easy...so they aren't even willing to try it.  "IT HAS TO BE MORE DIFFICULT THAN THAT!"  "CHILDBIRTH= SUFFER, SO THAT CAN'T BE LEGIT"  "IT MUST HAVE A 'CATCH,'" etc. etc.  

This reminded me of the process I have been going through the past few years in learning to apply the atonement in my personal life.  I have spent most of my life spiritually starving.  Trying to do it in my own strength because "IT HAD TO BE DIFFICULT IN ORDER TO GAIN EXPERIENCE" and "I COULD ONLY LEARN THROUGH CHALLENGES."  I wasn't applying the atonement because first I thought I had it all taken care of in my misery and difficulty and when I finally realized I did need help, applying the atonement seemed too good to be true.  I have come to know that when we allow Him a place in our lives---when we realize with honesty and humility our nothingness and invite Him in---He carries us.  It really is simple.  I was the one making it harder than it needed to be.

This has become one of my favorite passages in the Book of Mormon.  Alma has just given the beautiful sermon on faith---comparing it to a seed that we must plant.  He asks us  "[to] experiment upon my words and exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than adesire to believe, let this desire work in you, even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words. (Alma 32) .  In the following chapter, Alma speaks about WHAT seed to plant.




I'm not sure if you are familiar with the story Alma is alluding to.  Moses was in the wilderness with the children of Israel.  They were being attacked by "fiery flying serpents" and the bites were fatal.  When Moses prayed about what to do, his answer was to build a replica of a serpent, and attach it to a cross.  Whoever looked would be healed from the venomous bites.  From a logical standpoint, that sounds very silly.  How could simply looking at a statue heal venom?  

Alma 33:19 "Behold, he [Jesus Christ] was spoken of by aMoses; yea, and behold a btype was craised up in the wilderness, that whosoever would look upon it might live. And many did look and live.
 20 But few understood the meaning of those things [the replica was symbolic of Jesus Christ and our need to look to Him for healing], and this because of the hardness of their hearts. But there were many who were so hardened that they would not look, therefore they perished. Now the reason they would not look is because they did not believe that it would aheal them.
 21 O my brethren, if ye could be healed by merely casting about your eyes that ye might be healed, would ye not behold quickly, or would ye rather harden your hearts in aunbelief, and be bslothful, that ye would not cast about your eyes, that ye might perish?
 22 If so, wo shall come upon you; but if not so, then cast about your eyes and abegin to believe in the Son of God, that he will come to redeem his people, and that he shall suffer and die to batone for their sins; and that he shall crise again from the dead, which shall bring to pass the dresurrection, that all men shall stand before him, to be ejudged at the last and judgment day, according to their fworks.
 23 And now, my brethren, I desire that ye shall aplant this word [faith in Christ] in your hearts, and as it beginneth to swell even so nourish it by your faith. And behold, it will become a tree, bspringing up in you unto ceverlasting life. And then may God grant unto you that your dburdens may be light, through the joy of his Son. And even all this can ye do if ye ewill. Amen."

Our need for Jesus Christ boiled down in its simplicity is that we are fallen beings and we need the atonement.  By applying the strengthening & enabling power of the atonement, or His grace, regularly (*DAILY*), He can help us to go about our days filled, at peace, and strong.  We can use the atonement to specifically repent of each of our sins and short-comings and weaknesses and utilize His grace to change our hearts.  Simple.  It also isn't too good to be true.  

I have learned in the past few years that the atonement in theory is different than the atonement in application.  My need for the atonement made sense.  I understood.  It wasn't until I took the concepts from theory to application, that the atonement became personal and alive for me.  Applying the atonement has required my time, my energy, my devotion, my heart.  DAILY.  It has been a process and will continue to be a process---a lifelong process.  

Although Hypnobabies won't take an entire lifetime to master, it is like many good things in our life. The "homeplay" is simple and the daily benefit progressive; however,  the skills ARE gained through time, emotional investment, and consistent practice.  Don't be fooled by "the easiness of the way."  Be willing to consider Hypnobabies for an easy, comfortable, and joyful birthing time.

Katy Willis
RN, HCHI, HCHD, Thetahealing Practitioner

Comments